February 20, 2013

diy tree slice chalkboard tutorial

  

As I mentioned in this post about my living room decor, I'm totally digging the chalkboard art trend. I'm also into the  inspirational phrases, quotes, words, etc "epidemic." What could be better than combining the two? I now present to you the perfect DIY project to bring them both together ... the tree slice chalkboard. Bam!


This project all started when I came across these beauties at Hobby Lobby. Confession: Before stumbling upon them I had no idea you could buy tree slices at the craft store.  I honestly thought that in order to complete this project I would have to find a dying tree or something. :) Luckily I was wrong ... and I got really excited when I saw these... excited enough to take a picture. ;)


Supplies
• Wood plank tree trunk slice thingamajig (Hobby Lobby .... Don't forget to use a 40% off coupon)
• Chalkboard paint (I used Martha Stewart's Multi-surface Chalkboard Acrylic Craft paint from Michaels and I LOVED how smoothly it went on.)
• Brush

(This picture is an in progress shot. I smoothed out all the ridges of paint before I was done.)

Follow the chalkboard paint instructions listed on the container. Mine recommend applying two coats—letting it dry at least one hour in between coats and then letting in cure completely for 24 hours.


I free handed the edge with a foam paintbrush following the natural outline of the wood to give it an organic look.


After anxiously waiting 24 hours I conditioned the surface by lightly rubbing chalk (on its side) all over the painted area. This part is important because if you skip this step it will leave a ghost image of your drawing after you try to erase it. Not cool chalk ... not cool.


Now erase it all off and start drawing.


I used a pencil sharpener to sharpen the edge of my chalk to get thinner lines. (Thanks to this tip I pinned on pinterest.)

Now display your stylish new chalkboard prominently in your home and anxiously wait for your friends to come over and complement you on it. My oh my, look how trendy you are! You just ooze craftiness. ;)


{Images: Little Paper Dog}

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

Angela Conley said...

I love this project--- such a great way to post inspiring messages like you displayed in your pics or reminders. So practical! Thanks for sharing this tutorial!

I have featured this on my blog post, 7 Tips for Creating a Sacred Space in Your Home, and have linked back to your page. :)

http://creativeblossoming.com/2013/04/02/7-tips-for-creating-a-sacred-space-in-your-home/

Krista said...

How did you get your chalk writing so perfect? Is it free hand or did you trace at all ?

Little Paper Dog said...

I lightly sketched it out first and then went back a second time around pressing harder with the chalk.
I erased mistakes with a cloth as I went along.